DEEPEN YOUR YOGA PRACTICE WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO DEEPEN YOUR YOGA PRACTICE, AND HOW TO DO IT?DEEPEN What Does it Mean to Deepen Your Yoga Practice?Have you ever seen a yoga event advertising, this will deepen your practice? Of course you have. Every teacher training,...
GARUDASANA – EAGLE POSE
Why is it hard to double wrap the leg?
Garudasana, known as Eagle Pose, is a challenging hip opener and hip strengthener. It’s useful in developing balance, but for many people, double wrapping the leg is not accessible. For sure, some people have no trouble at all, but others are completely perplexed.
There are three reasons why it would be challenging for you or your students to double wrap:
- Lack of flexibility of the abductor muscles (outer hip muscles) – these are the muscles that are lengthened when we cross our legs.
- Lack of strength of the standing hip abductor muscles. This is a bit confusing unless you watch the video below. The standing hip abductors help to elevate the opposite side of the pelvis, making it more possible to cross the top leg over the bottom leg.
- Lack of technique and timing. In most cases, if you are not applying deliberate technique while moving into a pose, you will be entering the pose the hard way, which means you will only be able to do the postures that match your set of physical muscular patterns. This is a disservice, not because you will miss out on the poses, but because you will miss out on the opportunity to change your muscle patterns. In the video below, you will see the timing and techniques for getting into Eagle Pose with double wrapped legs.
"HIPS & HAMSTRINGS" IMMERSION
- ,Increase Range Of Motion Of Your Hips & Hamstrings
- Learn Techniques like “Facilitated Stretching”
- Release Stress Patterns, Discomfort, or Pain in Your Hips, Back and Knees.
- Twelve 75 min Classes, All Levels Appropriate
- Learn Postures: Pigeon, Lizard Variations, Lotus, Eagle, Hanuman, Fire Log, Seated Straddle Splits, and More!
- Lifetime Unlimited Access to All
How to Increase Flexibility of the Abductors – Outer Hips
If flexibility is inhibiting you from accessing Garudasana and you want to find ways to access your greater range of motion of the outer hip muscles, there are a couple postures you can work with. Any posture that includes criss-crossed legs will be useful and effective in increasing abductor flexibility. There aren’t many traditional postures aside from eagle pose itself. One that comes to mind is Golmukhasana, cow-faced pose. However, I would say that eagle pose should usually precede Golmukhasana because eagle pose requires less flexibility. The one that I use in the hips and hamstrings immersion to prepare for eagle is a straight single leg forward fold with criss-crossed legs.
How to Get into the Straight Leg Criss-Cross Forward Fold
- Start in lunge pose with your right foot forward.
- Heal toe (move) your right foot to the left side of the mat.
- Step your back left foot to the right side of the mat so that now both legs are criss-crossed
- I suggest using block under both hands prior to the last step.
- Straighten your legs to a degree where you are stretching without strain.
IMPORTANT KEY ACTION: Wag your tail bone to the left to increase the stretch along the outer hip and IT band. If that’s too intense, wag your tail to the right to decrease the outer hip stretch.
300 HOUR ONLINE TEACHER TRAINING
GET 500 HOUR CERTIFIED AS A MASTER TEACHER
Master your skillset as a teacher through refined techniques, anatomy, biomechanics, sequencing, philosophy, meditation techniques. theming, yoga business and much more!
WHY LACK OF ABDUCTOR STRENGTH HOLDS YOU BACK IN EAGLE POSE
Strength of the abductor group (outer hip muscles) is super important for two reasons. First, the standing hip abductors are what lift the opposite side of your pelvis, which allows you to cross your top leg over. Second, without outer hip strength on the standing leg, you would struggle to balance the pose! Outer hip muscles play a major role in balancing any single leg pose. If you find it challenging to balance Garudasana, then you will want to start with a strength-training routine for the abductors. We focus in on strengthening these muscles in the Hips and Hamstrings Immersion
FREE VIDEO TUTORIAL: HOW TO DOUBLE WRAP LEGS IN GARUDASANA, EAGLE POSE
This video clip was taken from class #3 in the Hips and Hamstrings: 12 Class Immersion
Improve Balance In Standing Poses Focal Points of the Feet BALANCEYou Might Be Missing These 3 Key Components in the FeetStanding balance postures can sometimes be a source of frustration in our physical yoga practice. We all have moments like this on the mat and...
Crow Pose Tutorial UPGRADE YOUR CROW POSE SHOULDER ACTIONS FOR OPTIMIZING STRENGTHFULL WHEELCROW POSE TUTORIAL: FIND FULLNESS TO FIND STABILITYFinding fullness in our yoga practice usually starts with our connection to breath. It’s not uncommon to take our time at...
FULL WHEEL POSE STOP HUGGING THE ELBOWS IN SHOULDER ACTIONS FOR MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITYFULL WHEELFULL WHEEL POSE SHOULDER FLEXIBILITY,You may have noticed that full wheel pose is quite challenging, and you might think the issue is your back, core, or shoulder strength....
Full Side Plank With Modifications STEP BY STEP VASHISTHASANA BREAKDOWNFULL SIDE PLANK pFULL SIDE PLANK & MODIFICATIONS: VASHISTHASANA USING THE WALL AS A PROP Full Side Plank (Vashisthasana) has many modification options and variations to help make it more...
GARUDASANA - EAGLE POSE How to Double Wrap the LegsEagle Pose GARUDASANA - EAGLE POSE Why is it hard to double wrap the leg? Garudasana, known as Eagle Pose, is a challenging hip opener and hip strengthener. It's useful in developing balance, but for many people,...