Hips & Hamstrings Flexibility "The 4 Quadrants of The Hips"Hip & Hamstrings Hips And Hamstrings Flexibility Why Is Hip Mobility Important? If you practice yoga you are sure to increase your flexibility of the hips and hamstrings. However, that doesn't mean you will...
GARUDASANA – EAGLE POSE
Why is it hard to double wrap the leg?
Garudasana, known as Eagle Pose, is a challenging hip opener and hip strengthener. It’s useful in developing balance, but for many people, double wrapping the leg is not accessible. For sure, some people have no trouble at all, but others are completely perplexed.
There are three reasons why it would be challenging for you or your students to double wrap:
- Lack of flexibility of the abductor muscles (outer hip muscles) – these are the muscles that are lengthened when we cross our legs.
- Lack of strength of the standing hip abductor muscles. This is a bit confusing unless you watch the video below. The standing hip abductors help to elevate the opposite side of the pelvis, making it more possible to cross the top leg over the bottom leg.
- Lack of technique and timing. In most cases, if you are not applying deliberate technique while moving into a pose, you will be entering the pose the hard way, which means you will only be able to do the postures that match your set of physical muscular patterns. This is a disservice, not because you will miss out on the poses, but because you will miss out on the opportunity to change your muscle patterns. In the video below, you will see the timing and techniques for getting into Eagle Pose with double wrapped legs.
"HIPS & HAMSTRINGS" IMMERSION
- ,Increase Range Of Motion Of Your Hips & Hamstrings
- Learn Techniques like “Facilitated Stretching”
- Release Stress Patterns, Discomfort, or Pain in Your Hips, Back and Knees.
- Twelve 75 min Classes, All Levels Appropriate
- Learn Postures: Pigeon, Lizard Variations, Lotus, Eagle, Hanuman, Fire Log, Seated Straddle Splits, and More!
- Lifetime Unlimited Access to All
How to Increase Flexibility of the Abductors – Outer Hips
If flexibility is inhibiting you from accessing Garudasana and you want to find ways to access your greater range of motion of the outer hip muscles, there are a couple postures you can work with. Any posture that includes criss-crossed legs will be useful and effective in increasing abductor flexibility. There aren’t many traditional postures aside from eagle pose itself. One that comes to mind is Golmukhasana, cow-faced pose. However, I would say that eagle pose should usually precede Golmukhasana because eagle pose requires less flexibility. The one that I use in the hips and hamstrings immersion to prepare for eagle is a straight single leg forward fold with criss-crossed legs.
How to Get into the Straight Leg Criss-Cross Forward Fold
- Start in lunge pose with your right foot forward.
- Heal toe (move) your right foot to the left side of the mat.
- Step your back left foot to the right side of the mat so that now both legs are criss-crossed
- I suggest using block under both hands prior to the last step.
- Straighten your legs to a degree where you are stretching without strain.
IMPORTANT KEY ACTION: Wag your tail bone to the left to increase the stretch along the outer hip and IT band. If that’s too intense, wag your tail to the right to decrease the outer hip stretch.
300 HOUR ONLINE TEACHER TRAINING
GET 500 HOUR CERTIFIED AS A MASTER TEACHER
Master your skillset as a teacher through refined techniques, anatomy, biomechanics, sequencing, philosophy, meditation techniques. theming, yoga business and much more!
WHY LACK OF ABDUCTOR STRENGTH HOLDS YOU BACK IN EAGLE POSE
Strength of the abductor group (outer hip muscles) is super important for two reasons. First, the standing hip abductors are what lift the opposite side of your pelvis, which allows you to cross your top leg over. Second, without outer hip strength on the standing leg, you would struggle to balance the pose! Outer hip muscles play a major role in balancing any single leg pose. If you find it challenging to balance Garudasana, then you will want to start with a strength-training routine for the abductors. We focus in on strengthening these muscles in the Hips and Hamstrings Immersion
FREE VIDEO TUTORIAL: HOW TO DOUBLE WRAP LEGS IN GARUDASANA, EAGLE POSE
This video clip was taken from class #3 in the Hips and Hamstrings: 12 Class Immersion
Intelligent Yoga Sequence Technique "REVERSE ENGINEERING"Yoga Sequencing HOW TO DESIGN AN INTELLIGENT YOGA SEQUENCE REVERSE ENGINEERING Designing an intelligent yoga sequence for your at-home practice or for your students can create a massive lifelong impact. Whether...
Backbend Technique to relieve back pain "BOWING THE SPINE"Bowing The Spine Why are backbends uncomfortable for many people? Can we do anything to change this? Let's dive into my #1 backbend technique to relieve back pain, and provide you with maximum range of motion....
FIREFLY POSE TITIBHASANA STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL: LEARN TO FLYFIREFLY POSE FIREFLY POSE: TITIBHASANA STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL: 4 KEY ACTIONS Firefly pose (Titibhasana) might have you thinking, “There is no way I’ll ever be able to do THAT pose!” Yes, for sure it requires...
YOGA ALIGNMENT: COBRA POSE RELEASE LOW BACK PAIN IN BACKBENDSCOBRA POSE YOGA ALIGNMENT: COBRA POSE HOW TO RELEASE LOW BACK PAIN IN BACKBENDS If you feel back pain in backbends, you are not alone. Many people experience low back pain in backbends. If you're...
3 BEST YOGA PRACTICES FOR THE 5 LAYERED SELF ASANA "YOGA", PRANAYAMA "BREATHWORK", MEDITATION3 BEST YOGA PRACTICES5 LAYERED SELF AND THE 3 BEST YOGA PRACTICESWhat are the 3 best yoga practices and why? You are likely already familiar with Asana, as it is the physical...