Pelvic Movement & The Hip Joint Understand The Influence In Your Practice & Your Bodyhip mobilityPelvic Movement & The Hip Joint The hips are a combination of challenge, ease, freedom, restriction, strength and weakness. You could very well be...
IGNITE YOUR CORE
It’s no secret that you go to your yoga mat for a purpose, whatever that may be on a given day. It’s important, however, to marry that purpose with intention. When it comes to strengthening your core in your asana practice, this is vital. As your center, your core is involved in every movement, but that doesn’t mean you’re maximizing your potential for strength. In many yoga postures, you may be missing opportunities to intentionally move in a way that will truly ignite your core. In today’s video, you’ll see how Matt transforms the execution of 7 yoga poses. You will learn new ways to achieve strength in your core, and you’ll gain the benefit of a target stretch, which in Chromatic yoga can become a secondary focal point to support the desired action on the mat.
OCTOBER 2023 15Hr. Immersion
- 12 Chromatic Yoga practices with founder Matt Giordano
- Full-spectrum immersion covering all posture categories
- Improve your body awareness and advance your practice
- Technique, biomechanics, and alignment at the forefront
- Life-enhancing and inspirational Chromatic philosophy woven through each class
- 15 Continuing Education hours with Yoga Alliance
- 15 Accredited Hours with the Chromatic School of Yoga
- Step-by-step instruction for increased accessibility
- Improve strength, balance, flexibility, and proprioception
- Appropriate variations and modifications for all levels
PREPARE WITH “CORE” CAT/COW
Igniting your core in Cat/Cow may not be exactly as you imagine. What Matt says in the video about defaulting to just allowing gravity to take over can be so true. He mentions that when moving into spinal flexion (Cat), you may just be dropping your head and the lower vertebrae, but flexing the entire spine is extremely important. The actions to take here are to pull your chin and throat back and to pull your ribs back, while lengthening the occipital ridge (where your skull meets your neck). By doing this, you’ll really feel the difference in sensation. You’ll get the activation of the core, receiving the benefit of strength while also lengthening the erector spinae muscles. These are also great foundational actions for arm balances and forward folds.
WATCH THE VIDEO
IGNITE YOUR CORE: ADD THESE 7 POSTURES FOR STRENGTH & STRETCH
PROGRESSION AND PATTERNING
In Chromatic yoga, you’re directed toward a specific focal point or action. This not only allows you to practice it repeatedly to integrate it, but eventually, it also transforms the way your body moves altogether. After repatterning Cat/Cow to attain more core engagement, multiple opportunities will unfold in the rest of the practice. Postures like High Lunge and the transitions between postures change when you focus on the physical throughline. In today’s video, you’ll see how the same actions from Cat/Cow are repeated in High Lunge. Coming from Three-Legged Dog towards “knee to chest” requires more strength from your wrists, shoulders, and serratus anterior. So what should you do? Stay focused on the key actions. What’s interesting is that sometimes your body finds more connection on a different plane, so repeatedly exploring these actions is crucial.
200 HOUR ONLINE TEACHER TRAINING
GET CERTIFIED & DEEPEN YOUR YOGA PRACTICE
- Deepen your yoga practice
- Build confidence speaking in front of groups in person and online
- Learn foundational class structures and templates
- Learn techniques for a wide range of yoga postures
- Get certified and highly qualified to teach yoga
- Yoga Alliance Globally Recognized Certification Program
CORE ACTIVATION—TRADITIONAL AND UNEXPECTED
Matt offers a variety of options in standing and seated Dragonfly.
As discussed, the key actions today are to pull your ribs back, pull your chin and throat back, and elongate your neck. In the last 4 postures in the video, Matt demonstrates some traditional and unexpected ways to ignite your core.
- Lizard Pose is a hip opener, but bringing your awareness to the key actions is what changes the dynamic.
- Forearm Plank may be a more typical posture with regard to strengthening the core, but pay attention to the plantar flexion (pointing) of Matt’s feet in the video—it leads to more emphasis on your trunk.
- Gravity can take over in Pyramid Pose, but it’s an opportunity again to engage.
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Fold) is the final pose in the clip. Although an intense hamstring stretch, it becomes effective as a core strengthener when you stretch your back muscles in spinal flexion.
300 HOUR ONLINE TEACHER TRAINING
GET 500 HOUR CERTIFIED AS A MASTER TEACHER
Master your skill set as a teacher through refined techniques, anatomy, biomechanics, sequencing, philosophy, meditation techniques, theming, yoga business, and much more!
- Get 500 hour certified
- Learn anatomy, biomechanics, asana techniques
- Expand your teaching skills
- Masterful sequencing and verbal delivery
- Learn meditation and breathwork techniques
- Transformative tools: theming, dharma talks, satsang
- Business, branding, marketing, and social media skills
ONLINE ANATOMY COURSE
- Accessible, Exciting and Easy to Learn
- Anatomy & Bio Mechanics for Yoga
- Appropriate for Both Teachers & Students
- Learn Joint Alignment vs Pose Alignment
- Demystify Yoga Poses and Transitions
- Release Ache's and Pains
- Learn How To Avoid Common Injuries
- Caters to All Levels with Modifications & Props
- 20 Hours Continued Education Credits with Yoga Alliance
- 20 Hours Toward Chromatic Yoga Certification and 300 Hour
- Lifetime Access
- Discounted course for waitlist
Glutes and Hamstrings 8 Skills and Drills for ActivationstrengthGlutes and Hamstrings How many times has your yoga teacher said “feel your glutes” in a particular posture in a yoga class, but you’re not sure exactly what that means or what it’s actually supposed to...
Bound Ardha Chandrasana Technique, Accessibility, and ExpressionBOUND HALF MOONBOUND ARDHA CHANDRASANA As Matt shares the 5 Powers of Consciousness from Tantrik yoga philosophy in his current immersion, The Power of Bliss, he reminds us that they are powers that exist...
10 Sun Salutation Skill Sets Polish Your Technique for Masterful ActionPOWER YOGASUN SALUTATION SKILL SETS The feeling you get from flowing on your mat to the rhythm of your breath can feel like paradise. There’s a freedom involved in seamlessly flowing from one yoga...
3 Ways to Stretch and Strengthen Your Neck Home In on the Awareness of Your PostureNECK MOBILITYSTRETCH AND STRENGTHEN YOUR NECK A common postural tendency or pattern for so many is slouching, which includes forward head posture due to the amount of time spent at a...
Take Action in Flying Pigeon Asana and the 5 Powers of ConsciousnessEKA PADA GALAVASANATAKE ACTION IN FLYING PIGEON Interesting about seeking and incorporating a yoga practice is that the entry point is quite different for everyone. There are many reasons you may be...